Sunday, February 27, 2011

Getting Started

This is a view from a route we run on overlook the Pudget Sound
and the Olympic Mountains.

Sup Everybody,
Well Asher came up with the idea so I cant claim it, but we thought it would be cool to stroke up a blog so the fam and friends would be more informed of everything we have going on. This is mostly due to the fact that  I am no good at keeping in touch nearly as much as I would like to.


So to get started, things are great here in Washington. I am a Platoon Leader for a Mobile Gun System Platoon, basically I command a Platoon that operates the Army's version of an ATV that has a tank cannon on top. It is very new and pretty effective (well new for the army, it was created in the early-mid 2000's). 


My Platoon is part of an Infantry Company inside an Infantry Battalion. So being an Armor officer is somewhat of a novelty to all the other officers I am around. The job of a PL is a unique one... I wear many hats, I am very much all things to many people. I do everything from planning company level weapons firing ranges, to designing and setting up all the orders for a battalion t-shirt and enlisting my soldiers in professional development training schools. My all encompassing task is a daily focus on my soldiers and to make sure they are being developed as men, husbands, soldiers, and citizens. It may not sound like much but there is never a dull moment, much less, a down moment.


So that's work.


This is our Coach Matt (Right) and one of our training
buddies Dan, they are both teacher in Tacoma
and Matt coaches at his HS as well.


My major focus for this season is qualifying for the World Military Track and Field Championships. I am going to focus on the 1500/mile this year instead of the 800, so that will be new. To qualify for the championships I will need to run about a 4:05 mile. I am running a 1200 meter race at the University of Washington on the March 5. That will be a good fitness check for me as we go forward.


And that's running.


Married life is great Asher and I went to our first marriage enhancement conference yesterday and we had an uuuuuuuhhhh eeeeerrrrr, good time, hahaha... No in all actuality it was good, it just wasn't what Asher and I expected. We were told it would be at a lodge and that they were some professional speakers coming in. But it turns out we were in a living room and watched a video of a speaker. Once we got past all that, we were able to take away some good things. So all in all for an Army created conference, it wasn't all bad.


Ash and I are learning a lot and figuring out how to balance the hectic life my job creates as well as the exhausted life that running 80+ miles a week creates for both of us, and somehow finding "US" time in all of that, it normally comes in the form of watching GLEE reruns.......Awesome.


That's Married life.
This is Asher and another training partner Brie
stretching out after our 100minute long run


So that is officially my first post. Ill do my best to keep updates flowing and I'll do my best to put up some pictures.


-dh


No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment! :)