Sunday, February 27, 2011

Snow drama.

The week started out normal... nice "winter" weather. Monday was the traditional easy 7 mile day, followed by Tuesday's double and workout. Wednesday Brie came over for a longer run and caramel macchiatos that we like to refer to as our "recovery drink."  Everything seemed to be going off without a hitch as I headed into my highest mileage week of my life. Annnndd then Wednesday night came.

And I felt the transformation beginning.

As the temperature began to drop from the average upper 40's we were use too, my positivity began dropping as well. When the rose trees froze from the three inches of snow that fell, my desire to be outside fell to record lows. Now, not saying that winter and I have ever been besties... But even being a midwestern girl from birth, and knowing what a real winter was like, my heart shamefully began to alter toward the crazy Washingtonite theory of an apocalyptic movement with every ominous snow flake. ("Snowocalyps" is one of the many terms used on the daily news every time we so much as get a frost.)

The negativity reached its peak as Brie and I laced up for our mid week threshold workout, (for me, thirty minutes in the 5:30s after a thirty minute warm up, followed by a fifteen minute cool down... 14-15 miles on the day) and we stepped out into crunchy, frozen, blistering conditions... Well, compared to the normal mild winters of the Pacific Northwest. In my head I was cursing every giant snowflake and frozen gust of wind impeding my ability to run at any decent speed.

And thats when I knew. I had turned into the stock-up-on-food-don't-leave-your-house-death-is-inevitable-the-end-of-the-world-has-come crazies that were residents of this great state. I had transformed...

It was a rough transformation. The 100 minute long run capping of a 80 mile week actually seemed fairly easy compared to the self inflicted stress each time we planned to hit the snowy trail. The rational side of me is sure I have just acquired a lil' diva from marrying into Lacey Connell's family. I will just compensate by becoming one of the girls that wears her Uggs a few months too long and flies off to Hawaii any chance they get... 1st chance, next Saturday at 9:35 a.m. Hallelujah!

-Ash

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment! :)